Safety first: These are the items you are not allowed to carry
At airports and in air travel, safety is always first. For your safety, and the safety of all passengers, some items are prohibited and not allowed into restricted areas of the airport or into the aircraft. Know what you are not allowed to carry and travel safely.
Are there any items that may not be carried in hand baggage?
Yes. Passengers are prohibited from carrying any type of weapon or tool, objects with sharp points or edges or substances classified as hazardous in restricted security areas and aboard the aircraft.
To learn what you are allowed to carry in your hand baggage, and how it must be packaged, please see our Information About Liquids page.
Which items are not permitted in hold baggage?
You may not transport any explosive and/or incendiary devices/materials/substances in hold baggage.
Which items are considered prohibited?
Among others, the following items are prohibited:
- Pistols, firearms or any other devices that can shoot projectiles.
- Metal or plastic toy guns/replicas, including water pistols.
- Slingshots, darts or sports clubs or bats.
- Objects with sharp points or edges, such as razors, knives, scissors and other objects with sharp blades over 6cm in length, syringes (except with medical prescription).
- Work tools.
- Fireworks, flammable liquids or solids.
- Bleach, acids and poisons.
- Objects containing compressed air or gas.
For more information, refer to the list of forbidden items available at the Portuguese Civil Aviation Authority website or contact your airline.
I am a smoker. May I carry cigarettes and a lighter?
Smoking in the plane and at the airport is absolutely forbidden. You may only smoke in designated areas. However, tobacco can be carried in your hand baggage.
Lighters or electronic cigarettes should be placed in your hand baggage.
Please note that you are not allowed to use electronic cigarettes aboard the aircraft.
What should I do if I am carrying any forbidden or restricted items in my baggage?
In this situation, you can go back and hand the prohibited or restricted item to a family member or friend, check it in as hold baggage, if permitted, or send it by green mail, at the post located next to the security checkpoint.