Environment & Sustainability
- Environment at ANA
- Our airports
- Our commitments
- Our environmental management
Waste management is of vital importance. The circular economy model has been adopted at ANA. This is based on the reuse, recovery and recycling of waste.
It has been set as a strategic goal for ANA to achieve, until 2030, zero waste to landill, waging on improving the waste recycling and reuse.
To this end, the waste produced is sent to the most appropriate destination, with preference given to recovery solutions, periodically evaluating the management processes to guarantee continuous improvement.
The company's approach is guided by five main goals:
• minimising waste production;
• improving waste sorting to systematise its recovery, recycling and reuse;
• encouraging the use of building techniques and materials that use a minimum of natural resources;
• reducing the extraction of raw materials and encouraging the use of recycled materials;
• actively promoting the circular economy.
Did you know that…
• Porto Airport has installed a mini sorting station in order to optimise waste separation?
A system has been set up at Porto Airport and at Faro Airport for depositing liquids left behind by passengers, reusing the water collected for watering and washing?
• At Lisbon Airport, a charity bottle compactor has been installed, improving plastic management and promoting social responsibility?
• At Faro Airport, a system for depositing liquids from bottles left behind by passengers has been installed, improving plastic management?
• At Ponta Delgada, Santa Maria, Horta and Flores airports, the grass cut in airport operational areas is transformed into animal feed or used for composting?
• Lisbon and Porto airports send waste for material and energy recovery?
• At Lisbon Airport, individual bins per workstation (individual desk) have been eliminated and recycling bins have been introduced in strategic areas, thus promoting recycling and reducing waste?
• In Porto Santo, a project is underway for the production of hydrogen from waste, to be installed in airport facilities?